Monday, October 30, 2006

Updating Biographies...

It has been a while since I posted, most of the work I have done in the last few weeks has been sorting through the many newspaper obituaries, death records which were posted on the West Virginia culture site, and working through all the information from Paul Franklin Beard. I have discovered several "lost" trails of descendency, definitive original records, and interesting biographical sketches of many individuals.

The Beard family showed a strong tendency towards public service in the 1700's and 1800's. They were extensive land holders, married into large familes, and provided much of the original efforts into the establishment of Pocahontas County, West Virginia. Certainly there is a lot to be proud of, a lot also we are not so proud of; but all in all I think the Beards of West Virginia contributed greatly to the public good and was a strong family name. As I bring this part of the genealogy to a close as the records I have been left are all sorted, placed into individual records, and posted for others to find and peruse, what is left but to visit the actual sites I have discovered, take photographs of all of the places I have found, visit the local historical societies and churches that made up so much of the early Beard record, hike the same trails my ancesters did.

My visit wish list is growing...

And hopefully continue to augment these records as new information is discovered.

If you stumble into this site, and feel you can contribute; please do. I am especially interested in photographs and stories concerning these individuals. I have created a web page for each individual to allow us to collect these and celebrate the accomplishments of each individual, I feel that this would best let us tell each persons story, rather than simply .. Jane begat John who begat Harry who... Who was Jane? and John? and Harry? What were they like? How did they live? What did they achieve? What do people remember about them?

And yes, time to turn to my "other" family side, the Heaths and Buckinghams and Dagues and Places..

All for now...

Alan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home