Thursday, December 28, 2006

DNA Test Results & Thank you for Photo Retouch

A bit of excitement yesterday when my DNA test results came back. The testing I did was the basic 12 marker Y DNA test (which follows the paternal line). Every male essentially inherits their father's DNA intact on the Y Chromosone; so this can be used in many cases to validate genetic heritage where there are records missing (such is the case with the Beard's when they emigrated from Ireland to America; the records in America are fairly clear (surprisingly) but the records back to Ireland are not clear. In addition, there is the desire to find out if the different Beard families are related).

Ok, so the results said I matched 82 different individuals in the ftdna database (ftdna.org). I also joined the Ysearch.org database which has a fuller database (more world wide I think). Fired off a bunch of e-mails to those individuals I matched with, got back some interesting information; and now trying to take it all in. Certainly I am amassing enough information for several years of research.

One thing I found out is that the basic 12 marker test is a good start, but cannot disqualify you from being related. The result means you MAY be related. Certainly if the match is with someone with the same last name (or a variant, like Bard or Baird), then the likelyhood is that you ARE related. So to settle this point, I went ahead and ordered the fuller 37 marker test, which will eliminate hopefully this ambiquity.

The hits also indicated a strong parentage into England and Scotland; not too surprising except that Ireland was not dominate. So I suspect the Beard's were Scottish (which is what my Dad always told me).

Also, thanks to Joe Kuniski who retouched some photos for me and volunteered to retouch some more. As this web site evolves and the basic content is in place, looking forward to cleaning it all up and doing some more serious research into my direct ancestors.

A sad note is that one of the places I wanted to visit, the Beard Bed and Breakfast along the Greenbrier River, shut it's doors as of December 20th as a Bed and Breakfast as it was sold to a new owner who will not be running it as a Bed and Breakfast. However, the Beard Chapel is still there and looking forward to seeing that.

Am taking a few days break from the genealogy as we celebrate our family get together (New Years 2007!). Happy New Year to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home