Sunday, October 08, 2006

Josiah O. + Traveler's Repose + Mapping

I have been exploring the death records posted on the West Virginia Culture web site (http://www.wvculture.org/index.aspx). These records have been posted there and are mainly from 1900 to 1940 or so, which covers a lot of the Beards in West Virgnia that were born in the middle to later 1800's.

I have determined that Josiah Osborne Beard (who I previously could not identify who he was descended from) actually was a grandson of John Beard, and great-grandson of Thomas Beard. Josiah and his family are written up by family members in some of the information Paul Franklin Beard passed to me, and is the basis for the "Traveler's Repose" piece. Through this information I even found who built Traveler's Repose (John Yeager) and that Brown Buren Beard (son of Josiah) lived there for a time.

The records are proving very useful as they are accurate 1st source records of the time.

So for now, worth re-reading the "Traveler's Reponse" piece under "Odds and Ends". Many misc. updates.

Another interesting development is the map placement of Thomas Beard's original homestead in the William Beverly Grant. The William Beverly Grant was centered around present day Staunton, VA. The original Thomas Beard land purchased from George Breckenridge is close to present I-81 and Rte. 11, about 15-20 miles south of Staunton. Google Maps shows a "Beard Rd" very close to where I think the plot should be.. is it possible this is the location?

Alan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home